Your skin is the largest organ you have, but it is often taken for granted until you begin to notice the negative effects of sun, weather, and aging. If you are now experiencing the worries of uneven skin pigmentation, rough, leathery texture of your skin, fine wrinkles, and blemishes, Dr. Chin suggests that a chemical peel may be the solution for you.
What is a Chemical Peel?
Before Hydroquinone Peel
After Hydroquinone Peel
Chemical peels use blends of safe and effective solutions of natural acids (AHAs, TCAs and retinoids, for example) to improve and smooth the skin texture by removing the damaged outer layers. The formulas combine exfoliating acids, melanogenesis inhibitors and skin-strengthening agents to provide maximum benefits with minimal discomfort and little to no down-time. The synergistic effect of their ingredients provides corrective and nutritive benefits while exfoliating the surface of the skin to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and even skin tone. Dr. Chin has chosen to use PCA Skin chemical peels as they originated, modified and enhanced Jessner’s chemical peels formulations. They consistently apply innovation and scientific research in the development of their peel solutions and have been used in addressing numerous skin conditions with proven formulations for over two decades.
There are several types of peels that are offered by Dr. Chin.
- Modified and enhanced Jessner’s peels soften the appearance of surface lines around the eyes and nasolabial folds, help improve acne, smooth skin texture and even skin tone, especially in oily skin. These PCA peels combine AHA (alphahydroxy acid) with kojic acid, (with or without hydroquinone) with a modified Jessner’s solution to address uneven skin tone from sun damage and hormonal changes.
- Blended tricholoroacetic acid (TCA) peels are exceptional for the treatment of aging skin, acne, uneven skin tone, and the appearance of lines and wrinkles, especially in drier skin types. Most of these blends work wonderfully for ethnic skin or darker skin types. A special blend of TCA, salicylic, and lactic acid is also available for treating skin of the body to produce an overall improvement in skin tone, texture, and appearance.
- Retinoid treatments create mild occlusion to enhance absorption of the vitamins, antioxidants, and rich actives into the skin for maximum benefits. The retinol content also increases cell renewal as does post-treatment exfoliation. Dr. Chin also offers a specialized 6% Pure Retinol Peel for those with resilient skin, as it provides dramatic and rapid rejuvenation of the skin.
- Peel treatment enhancements also provide an additional corrective component to any professional treatment by infusing the skin with essential antioxidants and vitamins and reducing potential post-procedure inflammation.
Is A Chemical Peel Right for Me?
Many people seek chemical peels to address the following:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Scaly patches and rough skin
- Acne and acne scars
- Brown marks, freckles, and skin pigmentation
- Age and liver spots
- Sun-damaged skin on the face or head (and nearly any other place on the body!)
If you feel that a peel may be just what you need to change your complexion back to a more youthful look, we invite you to call our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Vivian Chin to see if chemical peels are for you. Call 212-396-3672 or click here to email us.
SilkPeel Microdermabrasion with Dermalinfusion
Dr. Vivian Chin offers another method of providing smoother, softer skin known as Microdermabrasion.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical procedure that allows you to rejuvenate and revitalize your skin in less than an hour with no down-time. Microdermabrasion, and specifically the SilkPeel Dermalinfusion system used by Dr. Chin, addresses a large variety of skin conditions and concerns, and is suitable for all skin types. Microdermabrasion has virtually no restrictions on treating any area of the body, including the face and décolletage, hips and thighs, back and shoulders, underarms, and hands, feet, knees and elbows.
What problems does Microdermabrasion treat?
This procedure is commonly utilized and results are seen for both men and women with:
- Moderate acne scarring and/or some facial scars, hyperpigmentation, and melasma
- Dry skin
- Stretch marks
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Keratosis pilaris on arms and legs
- The effects of sun damage
How does Microdermabrasion work?
The microdermabrasion procedure uses either a diamond-tipped hand piece or a fine mist of crystals to mechanically exfoliate and smooth your skin. The combination of the fine abrasive action is coupled with a vacuum suction to remove the dead outer layer of skin. This brings the new, softer skin with a more even texture to the surface. Because microdermabrasion is so precise, the procedure is virtually pain-free and tolerated by most sensitive skin types and for all skin colors.
Dr. Chin uses the SilkPeel Diamond Dermalinfusion technology, which has instant and cumulative results. Skin shows immediate and noticeable improvement in volume, hydration, tone and texture. The SilkPeel offers multiple benefits, including:
- Exfoliation of the dry, dead skin cells that result in a dull, sallow complexion.
- Infusion of professional-strength serums, developed to address specific skin conditions.
- Detoxifying lymphatic drainage – a type of gentle massage intended to encourage the natural drainage of the lymph, which carries waste products away from tissues.
- Deep pore cleansing due to vacuum pressure that flushes pores with condition-specific pro-infusion solutions, removing dirt and debris.
Condition-specific pro-infusion solutions include:
- Lumixyl ® Pro-Infusion Solution: features the revolutionary Lumixyl peptide, which is non-toxic and instantly brightens skin while significantly improving uneven pigmentation, sun damage, hyperpigmentation and melasma.
- ClarityMD ® Pore Clarifying Pro-Infusion Solution delivers salicylic acid and a botanical complex which promotes clear, calm skin. This formula addresses the major causes of acne – bacterial infection, clogged pores, and excess oil production – while soothing redness and swelling and fighting post-inflammatory hyperpigmention.
- The Skin Hydrating Pro-Infusion Solution uses hyaluronic acid to re-hydrate chronically dehydrated skin. This solution moisturizes, plumps skin, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- The Vitamin C Skin Hydrating Pro-Infusion Solution helps correct the effects of environmental damage by revitalizing dull, tired skin. Skin is brightened immediately and the targeted ingredients help ward off long-term UV damage.
Is Microdermabrasion right for me?
During your personalized consultation with Dr. Chin, she will examine you, discuss your concerns with you, and then confirm if Microdermabrasion is the right answer for you. She will also recommend a pro-infusion solution, or combination of solutions, for your specific skin condition(s).
Microdermabrasion is one of the safest rejuvenation procedures on the market today. In the hands of a skilled professional like Dr. Chin, this procedure can enhance the results of the outer skin and achieve younger, vibrant-looking skin, while still keeping up with your busy lifestyle. The SilkPeel is offered as a standalone treatment, as well as an add-on to other customized skin treatments. While a single treatment will improve the health of your skin, most patients find that a series of 4-6 SilkPeel treatments 1-2 weeks apart for best results.
To make an appointment with Dr. Chin, call 212-396-3672 or click here to email us.
Collagen Induction Therapy/Medical Microneedling
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a new innovation in aesthetic medicine for the treatment of the appearance of fine lines, acne scars and the improvement of the skin’s texture, tone and color. During this procedure, the Eclipse MicroPen® is used to create controlled micro-Injuries to the skin in order to aid in the production of collagen and elastin. The skin’s repair process results in a thicker epidermis with a softer appearance of wrinkles. Eclipse MicroPen® Elite also creates micro-channels which allow topical gels, creams and serums to be absorbed more effectively, enhancing the effects in deeper layers of the skin.
What are the benefits?
Reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, improved skin tone and texture and softer, younger looking skin with fewer signs of aging. Eclipse MicroPen® Elite can improve the appearance of uneven skin tone, acne scars, traumatic scars and stretch marks.
What areas of the body can I treat?
Eclipse MicroPen Elite can be used on all parts of the body; face, neck, decollete, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back.
How Is the procedure done?
A sterile cartridge containing 12 tiny micro-points is attached to the Eclipse MicroPen® Elite. Your skin-care professional will apply sterile saline to your skin and select the appropriate pen position based on your unique needs. Next, in a single motion, the pen will be gently pressed against the skin while simultaneously gliding in one direction until the entire treatment area has been covered.
What does it feel like?
The feeling associated with the Eclipse MicroPen® Elite is similar to sandpaper being moved across the skin. While some areas are more sensitive than others, the speed of the reciprocating tip makes the treatment more comfortable.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure takes 15-90 minutes depending on the size of the area being treated and with which substance.
- Minimal Downtime
- Minimal Discomfort
- Safe for Most Skin Types
- Natural Results
What Is the downtime?
Immediately after the treatment, you will notice a bright redness to the skin. The total healing time depends on the pen position used and the number of overlapping passes your skin-care professional performs. On average, patients experience redness for 2-4 days. Some patients heal completely in 24 hours.
When will I see the results?
Patients notice an immediate “glow” to their skin. Visible changes to the skin develop over the course of several weeks. Results can continue to improve up to 6 months after the treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
Some patients only require a single treatment once a year to achieve optimal results. However, It is recommended for most patients to receive a series of 2-3 treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart. For patients with more significant skin-care concerns, such as acne scars, it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions at 6-week intervals.
Eclipse PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma
Eclipse PRP treatment is actually a combination of microneedling and the use of Platelet Rich Plasma. Our practice uses the Eclipse Micropen® Elite microneedling with Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP from your blood. The PRP acts as a matrix that promotes your own collagen to grow, regenerates tissue and speeds up the skin’s repair process. In turn, the skin’s repair process results in a thicker dermis with softer wrinkles, less scarring and improved skin tone.
Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP comes from your own blood! Blood is composed mainly of red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets and plasma. PRP is a high concentration of platelets surrounded in its own plasma. A small amount of blood is drawn and the red cells are isolated from the platelet-rich plasma. Platelets in our blood are cells designed to heal injuries. In concentrated form the platelets can be used to help heal those injuries. For years, athletes, dentists and reconstructive surgeons have been injecting PRP into joints to help speed up the process of healing.
Microneedling with growth factors can help generate new collagen beneath the skin for results that last.
What is Microneedling with growth factors?
One of the safest and least invasive methods for skin rejuvenation, microneedling involves moving a pen-like device with tiny needles over treated areas. The needles penetrate to a specific depth below the skin, stimulating a process known as Collagen Induction Therapy that restructures existing collagen and increases collagen production in the skin for continued improvement over time.
Microneedling is the use of growth factors to aid in the regeneration of fresh new cells and tissues to improve the skin at a cellular level beneath the surface. These factors can be found in the patient’s own blood and formulated into PRP using a sterile centrifuge process, but for patients who are interested in utilizing growth factors in their treatment but who do not wish to have their blood drawn can benefit from microneedling with MicroGlide GF™ with stem cell growth factors.
How do growth factors work?
During the microneedling process, the skin is opened up, allowing it to better absorb beneficial products and serums.
Benefits to patients:
- Providing lubrication to the skin throughout treatment
- A unique formulation that is easily absorbed into the skin after micro-needling
- Helps the skin heal itself by increasing collagen production, improving circulation underneath the skin and helping to restore structure to the face
- Providing subtle enhancement over time for results that last
Is Microneedling the answer for me?
If you notice fine lines and acne scars, this may be an answer for you. We invite you to contact our office and schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Chin to see if you are a good candidate for microneedling and to address your skin problems. Call 212-396-3672 or click here to email us.
Kybella™ is the first and only FDA-approved, NON-surgical treatment to improve the appearance of your “double chin” (submental fullness). Double chins are a common condition that can occur due to aging, weight fluctuations, and possibly even genetics. For some individuals, no matter how much they diet or exercise, the double chin does not go away. Double chins often make people look “heavier” and older than their actual age.
Kybella is a 15-20 minute, in-office injection treatment that is customized to help you achieve your aesthetic goals and is ideal for moderate to severe submental fullness. Kybella is made up of deoxycholic acid (a naturally-occurring chemical in your body) that permanently destroys the fat cells of your double chin. After the injection, the area becomes swollen for a few days.
Kybella can be a single treatment, but most individuals require a series of two to four treatments. Some patients may require up to six treatments to reach their ideal aesthetic. Each treatment is administered one month or more apart.
HOW KYBELLA® WORKS
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA® destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH KYBELLA®
Before starting treatment, your healthcare specialist will examine the area under and around your chin to determine if KYBELLA® is right for you. Then, your specialist will tailor your treatment to the amount of fat under the chin and your aesthetic goals.
How is KYBELLA® administered?
Treatment can only be administered by a KYBELLA®-trained healthcare specialist. At each treatment, you will receive multiple small injections under your chin, and the injection process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The exact number of injections will depend on the amount of fat you have under your chin and your desired profile.
How many KYBELLA® treatment sessions will I need?
Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. Your healthcare specialist will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Each KYBELLA® treatment session is given at least 1 month apart, and you should not receive more than 6 treatments. In clinical studies, 59% of patients received 6 treatments.
Will I need time to recover?
After KYBELLA® treatment, you will likely have some swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin. Be sure to inform your healthcare professional if you develop an uneven smile, facial muscle weakness, or difficulty swallowing.